Allie

Allie

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Jerry

Dear Friends & Family,

I think it was in the last blog that I said something about some families having it easier and some more difficult. Well, there is a family in our valley right now that is experiencing what may be one of the most difficult situations imaginable. For those of you that don't know of Jerry McCallister, he is a young man that went to school with Allie. He like Allie was paralyzed as the result of an accident. His spinal injury was lower than Allie's so while not on a ventilator he was bound to his chair and has had to suffer all the loss and grief that such a condition brings. His mom, Katie was one of the first to reach out to me with her encouragement and support. We became friends and I've come to respect and care very much about her. She in fact was the one who created this blog for us to communicate with you all, while Allie was still in the hospital.

Around a week and a half ago due to a drug interaction, Jerry suffered from a high fever resulting in several seizures and is currently in the hospital in a semi-comatose state. There is a real fear that he may have suffered some, un-known as yet, level of brain damage. My heart breaks to know the pain his family must be going through right now. So, I ask you all to please think of Jerry and pray that he looks at his mom and tells her he loves her by Mother's Day. Pray that his transfer to SCVM is approved so he can get the care he needs. Pray for Katie and the family's continued strength.

Allie is doing well. This past weekend she was able to attend a party with Brianna at Sam & Nick's thanks to her Aunties' who helped her get ready and dropped her off. I was south of Salinas for a few days horse camping with friends.  Riding on a HUGE gorgeous cattle ranch. Thanks again to Auntie Vicki, Marquerite, Auntie Pam and as always Marsha for making this weekend possible for me to get away and for Allie to have a great experience without mom around.

I am so thankful for Allie's current healthy state. It is all to obvious how vulnerable she is and yet, I am encouraged by her strong constitution and the love and support of all of you. I'd like to say more when I've more time. Mostly, just wanted to ask you all to think of Jerry. It does make a powerful difference!

Thank you for your interest in Allie's progress. I promise I will write more soon.

Love, Peace & Happiness, Deborah

7 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I am glad to see you are back up in the saddle, and Allie is doing well.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to update.So glad to hear that both you and Allie are doing well. Good news indeed. That girl has a fighting spirit and it shows. You go, Allie! Sounds like she got it from her mama.

    We've been praying for Jerry too. I can only imagine what they are going through.

    Thanks for updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Allie and mom
    Just thinking about you and glad to read you and your family are doing well. I have a little favor to ask of you. We have an amazing young lady that reminds me a lot of you and your mom that I'm sure would love to meet you two and keep as a peer support for her and her mom. So if you have the chance and could make the trip over the hill within the next few weeks I would really love to see you both and introduce both of you to them. If you'd like you can email me and we could talk more. tkmarkus@hotmail.com. Hope to talk to you soon and see you sooner.
    Love u both
    Theresa (scvmc RN)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love an update on Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God Bless Allie. Saying a prayer for Deborah and the rest of your family.
    In sympathy,
    Sharon Ferry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete